Cultural Advisor Job Location:
Kelston Deaf Education Centre
0.8FTE, Fixed Term Position
He angitūtanga: The opportunity
Kelston Deaf Education Centre provides educational programmes and services to Deaf and hard of hearing learners throughout the
northern half of the North Island and New Zealand. The Cultural Advisor will report to the Principal and is responsible for
supporting the development of working relationships with relevant Deaf and hard of hearing communities and supporting cultural
sustainability in all service areas for KDEC.
He kōrero mōu: About you
- Build strong partnerships between Maori learners, their whānau, our staff and our Deaf community;
- Contribute cultural expertise to the design and implementation of existing and new strategies to support our Deaf and hard
of hearing learners and staff;
- Build and foster relationships with Iwi, other relevant individuals, groups or organisations and;
- Provide cultural competency training as and when required;
- Bring your experience of Pastoral care advice and guidance to ensure the social and emotional needs of our learners and staff
are catered for;
- Demonstrate leadership to develop and run culturally appropriate programmes from our tri-lingual Deaf Marae;
- Work in collaboration with our partner schools
- Cultural competency and ideally NZSL New Zealand Sign Language skills, or a commitment to learn NZSL;
- Be a confident communicator with strong interpersonal skills;
- A positive attitude, energy and enthusiasm and ability to work in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision;
- Awareness of the and our Deaf community cultural and political content.
Please forward your covering letter and CV to Mrs Sam Dickenson, HR Manager, Kelston Deaf Education Centre Email: email@example.com Closing date for email applications is midday, 25th March. Interviews will be held on 28th March 2019. A job description or
further information is available on request.